August 31, 2009

Beads, Glorious Beads


http://www.lampworketc.com/

The above is a wonderful link to a chat site that has a bunch of tutorials. My house is full of inspiration, I love picking up books loaded with bead pictures. I pour for hours, days, years over the different designs and methods. Always wondering: how'd they do that? I then sit for hours over my hothead torch, trying to replicate the designs I have seen. Some seem so hard, and end up being incredibly simple. Others infuriatingly complicated!

I believe in the concept of "figure it out on your own". I believe that it inspires innovation and convergent techniques. But I also believe in extending a little helping hand every once in a while. Over the last couple years I have graduated into a multitude of designs, each one can be considered a wonderful mistake. I have found that Ivory delightfully reacts with many different colors. I have found that True Black will sometimes react and create a malachite look. I have also found that when told: "you can't do that on a hothead", you can.

Unfortunately I have also found that other "bead masters" can be incredibly stingy about their knowledge. Mistakenly thinking that someone else can replicate their work. As if any bead can be replicated, this is glass people!

That is why I really like the website posted above, there are pages and pages of FREE tutorials, mixed in with tips.

Now if you want to pay, through the nose too, for tutorials, there are lots and lots of artists out there that think that techniques are unique to them. But I have found through time and experience, the beauty that you are inspired by can be replicated, given a little time and willingness to experiment.

In time I hope to write out a few tips for the budding lampwork enthusiast, I have to get the camera shots down first! Otherwise, if you have any questions, feel free to post and I will answer them as best I can. And if I can't I will point you in the right direction.

No comments: